HOW ONLINE SESSIONS WORK
Allow us to explain in a bit more detail what you should expect and what your overall experience of taking online sessions will be...
Please don't think of this as some sort of audition or test... The Assessment session is purely for your Vocal Coach to understand how they can help you; this includes hearing your voice so they can determine what your current ability is and what your strengths and weaknesses are. This will allow your Coach to come up with a lesson plan to suit you! No persons voice is the same, every voice has its own identity and characteristics; it's really important to us that you don't lose this. Some people will require focus on different areas of their voice compared to others. We can work out how many sessions you will require, how frequently you would like the sessions and what session duration will suit you best (30, 45 or 60 minutes).
The Assessment session is also a great opportunity for you to understand how your specific Coach works as a teacher, what their methods of teaching involve, whether you feel comfortable working with your coach etc... It's really important that you feel confident and comfortable working with your teacher, as you are putting yourself in to a vulnerable position by allowing someone you've never met to work on your voice and give you constructive criticism; if you don't feel a click or a comfortable connection, then it will hinder your learning process.
You will also have the opportunity to choose whether you want to switch coaches; as we now offer multiple vocal coaches, you now have the ability to change your coach if you are not comfortable with your first choice. Please note, you will have to pay for another assessment fee when you switch.
Once we have had the initial Assessment session and worked out an efficient plan to move forward with, we can then start the proper teaching sessions.
We will jump straight in with various exercises and approaches to best suit your specific voice and specific needs, which would have been determined in the Assessment session. Your coach will work with you, in depth, on problem areas in your voice, give you effective exercises to help overcome difficulties, give you critical feedback to help you improve and make sure you understand the best way you can continue to develop your voice in between sessions- there is a difference between practice and effective practice; effective practice is what we are aiming for, making sure your practice is actually helping you develop instead of just going through the motions.
Your Coach will often set you homework in between sessions; these will usually be exercises that we have explored in the session or it may be research work, for example, we may send you some videos to watch or some articles to read in order to further your understanding of your voice.
Your Coach will always make sure you leave each session with a complete understanding of what you have explored in that particular session and make sure you feel confident and comfortable with the work you have been given to work on in between sessions.
Your Coach is always at the end of an email or a phone call/ text message if you have any confusions or want to ask any questions about what we have explored; further to that, we have now set up a 'File Sharing' page, for clients only, on the website. This file share will be regularly updated with new material, which will include: vocal exercises, articles, videos and other helpful things to help you with your understanding and effective practice.
In terms of learning online via ZOOM, this is a really effective way to work! It's obviously very important that you choose a quiet space with plenty of room to move about (at least be able to stand up straight and swing your arms around) where you won't have lots of distractions and/ or interruptions so that you can get the most out of the session. Our Coaches use a professional camera and microphone set up so you can see and hear your coach as clearly as possible. If you would like to know more about creating an effective learning environment at home, please head over to our BLOG page; we have a dedicated blog post with tips on how to turn your home in to an effective learning environment! Click HERE to download ZOOM and sign up for a free account right now! You're already halfway there to learning from home!
We hope this will clear things up for you and allow you to understand how the sessions work and what to expect... These are obviously very difficult and unprecedented times we find ourselves in, so things have to be done a little differently; but that doesn't mean you can't achieve your goals working in a slightly different way and it doesn't mean you shouldn't try and pursue something that will better yourself!
If you would like any more information or you would like to ask some more specific questions, please don't hesitate to contact us by clicking HERE; you can email one of our specific coaches through their personalised email or you can send a general enquiry. We will be happy to put your mind at rest and hopefully we can start working together to achieve your vocal goals!
CHOOSING THE RIGHT COACH FOR YOU
Choosing the appropriate coach to suit your needs depends on a number of things... here are a few tips on how you should go about selecting the right coach for the job.
1. Make sure you choose a coach who teaches the style of singing you are interested in- this obviously applies to singing coaching only. All of our coaches specify the style of singing they specialise in on their individual profiles; it's always important to make sure you choose a coach who is going to be able to work within your chosen style. For example, if you want to develop your Pop/Rock voice, make sure you choose someone who offers this in order to get the most out of your sessions.
2. Try to have an idea of what your vocal goals are before you start having sessions; this doesn't have to be hugely detailed or elaborate, it could be as simple as "I want to improve my ability to sing in tune" or "I want to work on my vocal stamina". This will help a vocal coach understand how they can assist you in the most effective way. Of course, we always hold an assessment session before we move in to full time singing lessons in order to determine more specific goals and come up with a game plan for working together, but it's useful to have a sense of motivation and understanding of why you want to start taking lessons.
3. Make sure you are comfortable with the coaches personality, gender and approach to teaching. At THE VOCAL LISTS LTD. we offer both male and female coaches; some people feel more comfortable working with one gender over the other. In terms of personality and teaching approach, this is something that you can quickly determine through your initial assessment session. It might seem like a an insignificant factor, but if you don't connect with your coach on a personal level or you don't connect with their specific teaching style, this will only hinder your progress and prevent you from reaching your full potential. We will always strive to make you feel as comfortable as possible and ensure that you understand all of the techniques we are exploring within your sessions, sometimes it's just not the right fit.
4. All coaches at THE VOCAL LISTS LTD. offer their services at the same rate, therefore there is an equal opportunity to work with whomever you want to without worrying about varying fees. Please note we will always strive to help you out from a financial perspective during this difficult time where a lot of time may be struggling to work; we want to encourage people to stay motivated and productive whilst we are all having to face social distancing and various restrictions to our normal lives. Please get in touch if you need to discuss ways of financing your sessions and we will do our best to support you.
5. It's worth mentioning that in order to have a successful experience with any vocal coach you choose to work with, you need to make sure you are willing to put the work in and follow the advice and instruction of your coach. Learning to use your voice is a two-way street, just like learning any skill. In the same way you can't expect a Personal Trainer to do all the weight lifting in the gym... it takes YOU to make the conscious decision to engage with your training and actively throw yourself in to the lessons and any extra work or practice your coach gives you outside of the sessions.
Please click HERE to take a look at our four VOCAL COACHES.